ABSTRACT

GEOCHEMICAL ASSESSMENT AND MODELING OF WATER QUALITY FOR IRRIGATION AND INDUSTRIAL PURPOSES IN OTUOKE AND ENVIRONS, BAYELSA STATE, NIGERIA

Journal: Water Conservation and Management (WCM)
Author: Nwankwoala, H. O, Abadom, N. D, Oborie, E
Print ISSN : 2523-5664
Online ISSN : 2523-5672

This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited

Doi: 10.26480/wcm.01.2018.13.17

The study assesses the geochemistry of water quality for irrigation purposes in Otuoke and environs, Bayelsa State, Nigeria. Assessment of the water quality for irrigation purposes was achieved using models like Sodium adsorption ratio (SAR), Permeability index (PI), Kelly’s ratio (KR), Magnesium adsorption ratio (MAR), Sodium percentage and Potential soil (PS) salinity reveals that all the groundwater samples are in excellent condition and can be used for irrigation purposes. Sodium percentage reveals that 14% (2 samples) of the groundwater samples are permissible, while 86% (12 samples) of the groundwater samples are doubtful for irrigation purposes. Magnesium Adsorption ratio reveals that 93% (13 samples) of the groundwater samples are good for irrigation while the remaining 7% (1 sample) is unsuitable for irrigation. Kelly’s ratio shows that all the water samples are unsuitable for irrigation. The groundwater in the area shows LSI ranges from -4.34 to -2.24, with a mean of -2.93. Positive Langelier saturation index (LSI) values suggest that water is supersaturated with respect to CaCO3 and scale formation may occur in pipelines and equipment. All groundwater samples have negative Langelier saturation index (LSI) values, which suggest that the groundwater is unsaturated with CaCO3 and fit for industrial usage. The results obtained could serve as a future reference when studying the water quality of Otuoke and its environment.
Pages 13-17
Year 2018
Issue 1
Volume 2

Download